when in the grocery, I was asked how to cook fennel...
here's my absolute favourite recipe
3 small fennel bulbs
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 pound plum tomatoes, peeled & diced
2/3 cup dry white wine
12 Nicoise olives
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
Pinch of sugar
Salt and pepper
1. Cut fennel bulbs lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil. Add fennel slices and garlic; cook 6-8 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add tomatoes and wine to pan and boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Stir in olives, herbs and sugar. Add fennel slices. Cover and simmer for
20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature with pasta and/or bread. Good with parmesan cheese.
Makes 4 servings
Adapted from The Book of Vegetarian Cooking by Louise Pickford
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sounds yummy! I've NEVER cooked fennel, I'll have to try this recipe.
Post a Comment